Lemon meringue pie in a jar
French - This weekend, I went to the south of France, in order to see the most people in a very short time, I decided to host a brunch and to invite them all. As a dessert, I chose to make a lemon meringue pie, one of my favorite dessert as it is refreshing, creamy and crusty! It is the kind of dessert that is not too heavy but not too light either, just the necessary indulgence you need after a good meal. This time, I changed the original piecrust by a crumble base and made it in a jar so everyone could have its own dessert.
Recipe for 12 small jars:
The crumble: One of the best way to make a crumble base!
- 50 grams almond powder
- 30 grams oat flakes
- 100 grams whole wheat flour
- 90 grams of cold butter cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix all the ingredients with your fingertips to make a heavy breadcrumb texture. Spread it over a baking sheet and bake it for 15 minutes.
- Once lightly colored, let it cool down. Then, break the crumble into crumb and put it back in the oven, in grill mode for 3 minutes. Be careful, it can burn very quickly. Once brown, set aside.
The lemon curd:
- 3 large egg yolks
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of two large lemons (about 125 ml)
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 60 grams of butter cut into small pieces
- Combine yolks, lemon zests, lemon juice and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat, with a wooden spoon mix well to combine.
- Stir constantly, making sure to stir sides and bottom of pan, until the mixture reaches a thick texture, about 6 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add one piece of butter at a time, stirring until it is well combined and the texture is smooth.
- Transfer the lemon curd into a bowl, cover it with a plastic paper and let it cool in the fridge at least one hour.
- 3 large egg whites
- 100 grams icing sugar
- Zest of 1 limes
- Pinch of salt
- Add the 3 large egg whites into a large mixing bowl and beat them on medium speed with an electric hand. Whisk until the mixture is fluffy and stands up in stiff peaks when the blades are lifted.
- Turn on high speed and start to add a tablespoon of icing every 10 seconds. When ready, add the zest of 1 lime, keep whisking until the mixture is thick and glossy.
In a jar:
- Put the crumble at the bottom, should be one third of the jar
- Add one big tablespoon of lemon curd
- With a pastry bag, nicely add the meringue
- Sprinkle with the zest of 1 lime