Carrot & Coconut soup
I love soup! Especially with this kind of weather in Paris, I barely see the sun in ten days. I started loving soup when I lived in Montreal. It was the only meal that would be affordable (I was a student at the time) healthy (still and always) warm enough to increase my body temperature and of course delicious. Soup has the power to keep you fuel longer, bring vitamins, heal your soul after tough days and warm your body. This soup I'm sharing with you is one of the best I've made, I love this soup, not because I made it but because every taste are well balanced. The coconut milk brings just enough texture and flavor, the sweet potato increases the carrot's flavor and adds some sweetness and the spices make the soup very tasty. Don't be scared of the amount of spices in the list ingredients, it won't be spicy at all, it will just bring extra taste and increase the carrot's flavor. This soup is of course very healthy, totally vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and organic. I made enough soup to refill myself until super-full and mainly because I wanted to have some left for tomorrow lunch! I hope you will love this recipe as much as I do.
Recipe for 6 people - Preparation 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of curry
- 1 tablespoon of 4 spices
- 1 tablespoon of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 20 cl of coconut milk
- 850 ml of organic vegetable stock
- 3 big carrots, peeled and cut in medium pieces
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut in medium pieces
- In a large sauce pan, on medium heat, add one tablespoon of coconut, once melted, add the garlic and the onion and cook it for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add all the spices and mix well to combine. Then add the coconut milk and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Add the carrots and sweet potato and cover with the vegetable stock. Cover the sauce pan and cook it for 45 minutes, until the carrots are ready to mix.
- Once ready, use a hand blender and mix until reaching the right consistency.
- Serve in a bowl and add a last splash of coconut milk. Enjoy!