Pesto rosso & Ricotta pasta
Winter is coming, big meals as well and when you are craving pasta so much, this meal is perfect! As you can see, I've an addiction with pesto and after making green pesto such as kale pesto and rocket pesto, I thought it would be a good idea to switch to a new one: Pesto Rosso! It is as easy to make as the previous ones and of course as delicious. I choose to make the pesto rosso with a bit of ricotta to add a bit of creaminess to the recipe (but also because I love ricotta and that I really wanted a big comfort meal after a freezing day in Paris) Therefore, I took off the parmesan cheese found in the classic recipe. As well, because I had no more almonds I choose to make the pesto rosso with brazil nuts instead, which makes no difference besides being even more tasty! To add one last taste, I cooked some mushrooms on the side and add them on top of the pasta - and I don't say that because I love mushrooms but - it gave the final touch to make it the perfect dish I needed that night! As simple as that. To sum up, this recipe is not part of the non-fatty-dish I'm used to make (but it is not part of the fatty dish either, don't worry) but it is crazy delightful so if one day you need a healthy comfort food: Here is the recipe you need! I advice you to choose fresh and organic ingredients, the success of this recipe can only be better off.
Recipe for three - Preparation 20 minutes
- 400 grams whole wheat pasta
- 15 sun dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I rinsed every sun dried tomato to remove the excess oil)
- 6 fresh basil leaves,
- 7 thyme leaves, minced
- 1 handful of brazil nuts, chopped
- 1 big clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- A pinch of chili flakes
- Salt & Pepper
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 200 grams ricotta
- Bring water to a boil and pour your pasta in for 8 minutes, al dente!
- Meanwhile, in a blender, add the garlic, the oil-free chopped sun dried tomatoes, the basil, thyme and the brazil nuts. Once the solid ingredients in the blender, add the balsamic and the olive oil and mix until reaching a good consistency.
- Add the chili flakes, salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Pour the pesto rosso into a small pan and cook it on low medium heat. If you think the texture is too thick, add a bit of olive oil and stir well.
- Then, add the ricotta to the small sauce pan and stir well to combine. Cook it for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another sauce pan, on medium heat, cook the mushrooms until crispy brown.
- Once the pasta ready, remove the excess water and add the pesto rosso & ricotta on the pasta. Stir well to combine everything and serve on 3 plates.
- Add the mushrooms on top and bonne dégustation!