Carrot, Coconut & Banana Cupcakes by The Green Kitchen Stories
Because a meal never comes without a dessert (especially for the greedy ones), here is the other part of my dinner party: a carrot, coconut & banana cupcake by The Green Kitchen Stories, still and always. But not just any carrot cake, this one is the healthiest I've tried and I'm sure my lovely friend in London will be pleased about this one. This recipe only exists in the book therefore I will share it with you so you can make those ones at home. This recipe is healthy not just because of the carrots, but because there are no white or brown sugar, refined flour or butter, everything is about healthy fat such as maple syrup, coconut flour and coconut oil. There is a deep spicy taste due to the cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg, there are also very moist from all the carrots and banana and the taste of coconut is just wonderful. The frosting is a light and organic one, with a soya yogurt plus some tablespoons of honey (or maple syrup) and a freshly squeezed lemon juice, which is much lighter than all the ones you've tested before. No need to tell you that they are really good for the digestion too (I ate three, I know what I'm talking about)
Carrot, Coconut & Banana cupcakes (adapted from The Green Kitchen Stories)
Makes 12 muffins or 1 cake
- 4 eggs whites
- 1 ripe banana
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup or agave syrup
- 80 grams coconut oil
- 60 grams coconut flour or gluten free flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cardamom
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 4 carrots, medium size, grated
- 50 grams desiccated coconut
- 150 grams of hazelnut flour
Soya yoghurt & lemon frosting
- 150g soya yoghurt or greek yogurt or cream cheese
- 2-3 Tbsp Honey, agave or maple syrup
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 15 hazelnut, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases.
- Melt the coconut oil on low heat in a small sauce pan and add all the spices and the maple syrup, stir well and set aside to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Put the hazelnuts in a mixing bowl and add the coconut flour, coconut and baking powder.
- Meanwhile, add a banana to your grated carrots and mix well until combined and totally incorporated.
- Add to the mixing bowl and stir well to combined with all the dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg whites until softly peaking. Fold into the cupcakes mixture and then add the spices-infused coconut oil and stir well until smooth.
- Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Whisk together the soya yogurt, maple syrup (or honey) and a lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Let the cupcakes cool before spooning on the frosting.
- Once chill, add a spoon or two on the top of the cupcakes, decorate with coarsely chopped hazelnut and add a bit of lemon zest.