I think no one needs to be told how to make his own avocado toast but as I found mine incredibly delicious, I've decided to share the recipe. As you may have noticed, I'm a pesto addict of all kind, therefore this time I choose to incorporate some and it brings so much taste and texture to this easy and classy recipe of the avocado toast. I also add tomatoes for its freshness and color, and of course a poached egg on top to make it perfect for your mind, your mouth and your body. I like to use whole wheat bread with seeds and to toast it for a few minutes to make it crunchy. Avocado toast is my favorite go-to lunch as it is packed with healthy fat and nutriments that are good and essential for your body and it can keep you full and satisfied for hours. But you can eat it anytime during the day, even at dinner along with a soup or a small green salad. In a perfect world, I would eat it three times a day with green juice, raspberries and chocolate in between.
Recipe for one big tartine:
- 1 slice of whole wheat multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons homemade pesto (try this one, changing the rocket for some fresh basil leaves)
- 1 perfectly ripe avocado
- 4 cherry tomatoes, cut in 4
- 1 egg
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 pinch of chili flakes
- 1 pinch of freshly grated black pepper
- Bring a small sauce pan to a boil and cook the egg for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scoop the avocado out of the skin into a bowl. Add the cherry tomatoes and sprinkle on chili flakes, salt and pepper and then add the fresh juice of half a lemon.
- Mash with a fork (mash well to create a smooth spread or mash just a few times to create a chunky spread).
- Add 2 tablespoons of your homemade pesto and keep mashing it with a fork to combine everything and reach the perfect consistency.
- Back to the egg: pour out the excess water and very gently remove the shell.
- Toast your bread to perfection, then spread the avocado mixture on top of the slice, finally cut the egg in half and add it on top of your toast. Enjoy!