Vegan chocolate chips cookies
Friday night I was organizing an event where I had to cook for organic healthy-food lovers. As a little treat I chose to make them cookies but not the kind of cookies that are full of butter, sugar and gluten. I baked completely vegan chocolate chips cookies made with no flour, no egg, no sugar, no butter, dairy free and gluten free. So now you may ask yourself "what are they made of?" They are made with only 4 ingredients which make them very easy to make and even more delicious to eat. At least you don't feel guilty to eat them all. Eating is now all about being strategic and I've to say that I'm mastering the topic ;) They are two ultimate ingredients to make these cookies: almond butter and flax seeds. Almond butter or any nuts butter of your choice is used to replace the butter or oil found in cookies. Homemade nuts butter is really easy to make and this is the only way to know what is in it, otherwise you can buy some in grocery store but there is always some added sugar or conservative. You just have to mix the nuts of your choice in a food processor or blender until you reach the right smooth consistency. The second ingredient I told you about is flax seeds. Flax seeds are used to replace eggs. You only have to mix them first, then to add a bit of water and wait for about 10 minutes for them to create a gooey texture and here you go you have your completely vegan egg replacer. To make these cookies, the base is 4 ingredients but after you can add any toppings or extra of your choice. Here, I chose to add some chopped hazelnuts for a better crunchy result and as a topping some shredded coconut for an extra taste. You can of course add some vanilla extract, a pinch of cinnamon, a sprinkle of sea salt Well, I won't keep you waiting any longer, here is the recipe for healthy and delicious vegan chocolate chips cookies.
Recipe for 12 cookies - Preparation 20 minutes
- 1 big tablespoon of flax seeds, grounded (if not vegan, use one egg)
- 250 grams of almond butter (making sure to pour out the excess oil present in the bottle)
- 2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 190 grams of chocolate chips
- 1 big handful of coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 small handful of shredded coconuts
- Preheat the oven at 180°C and line a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, pour the grounded flax seeds and add 2 tablespoons of water. Stir well to combine and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the almond butter and the baking soda and mix well until you no longer see the baking soda.
- Then add the flax seeds mixture and stir well until everything is combined and the flax seeds have coated all the ingredients. (If you prefer to add egg, add it now too)
- The texture must be a bit hard to stir, you'll have to use your arm muscles ;)
- Fold in the chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chip until combined.
- Scoop the dough to make small balls onto prepared baking sheet and press with your thumb to flatten and shape the cookies. If you find your cookies a bit too oily due to the almond butter, do not hesitate to dry them with paper towel. (This only depends on the almond butter you bought or made)
- Bake for about 8 minutes if you like them soft and chewy with crispy edges. Otherwise bake them for 10 minutes. After 8 minutes, they will seem a bit under-baked and soft but that's ok, don't worry.
- Allow the cookies to chill for 10 more minutes before transferring them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Happy greedy chocolate chips time :)