When I'm back to my hometown, the first question my mum asks me is "What do you want to eat?" (yes, food is a family matter) and without any hesitation my answer is "your grilled eggplants". I can make my own, but when she cooks it, it is always crispy brown on the outside, creamy sweet on the inside and full of taste. For me, it is a south of France kind of dish as it can only be prepared during the summer months, the season of eggplants (from May to September). As the end of summer is coming, especially in Paris, I suggest you to extend it a little bit, by bringing back the sun to your kitchen by cooking this Mediterranean starter for diner.
Recipe for two:
- 2 big eggplants
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 6 branches of parsley finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Lil' advice when choosing your eggplants: try to choose them heavy, reasonably firm and shiny, without any wrinkle or mark. If the eggplant is too soft, its flesh will be bitter and if you choose it too big, the eggplant will be filled of seeds.
- Preheat the oven on grill at 180°C
- Cut your eggplants in 1/2 centimeters lengthwise or widthwise slices
- Place all the slices on a grill and wait until the edges start to become brown
- After 10 minutes, turn each slice and add a drizzle of olive on each slice
- After 5 minutes, it should be ready to put it out
- Put all the slices nicely on a plate, drizzle with olive oil, be generous
- Sprinkle with garlic and parsley
- Season with salt and pepper
Summer can still be enjoyed, bon appétit!